About Lausanne & Venue
Ecole polytechnique fédérale de Lausanne
EPFL is Europe’s most cosmopolitan technical university with students, professors and staff from over 120 nations. A dynamic environment, open to Switzerland and the world, EPFL is centered on its three missions: teaching, research and technology transfer. EPFL is located very close to the Lake of Geneva and west of Lausanne
To reach Lausanne, we recommend that you consider taking responsible transportation means. The travel map above indicates the regions from which it is possible to reach Lausanne in under 10 hours by public transport, or by car (in that case, the best is to do car sharing). If you come from further away and want to travel in one day, taking plane is the best solution.
Highlights in Lausanne
• Lausanne old town with cathedral – the impressive cathedral is surrounded by beautiful, car-free roads. Since 1405 a watch in the clock tower makes sure there is no fire and shouts out the hours from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m.
• Olympic Museum – provides an overview of the history of the Olympic games, from the first 1896 summer games in Athens through to the present day.
• Lake Geneva cruise – paddlewheel steamers and motor vessels highlight the attractions of the Lake Geneva region as seen from the water.
• Fondation de l’Hermitage – the foundation presents changing art exhibitions of the highest calibre in a magnificent setting dating from the 19th century.
• Train des vignes – leisurely train journey onboard the «Train of Vines» from Vevey to Chexbres through the winegrowing region of the Lavaux, high above Lake Geneva.
• Stroll by the lake in Ouchy: take metro M2 direction Ouchy, turn left when exiting the station. You will reach the pier and you can start the walk along the lake until Pully (40 minutes) or Lutry (1h). You can come back by bus.
Highlights around Lausanne
• Lavaux (UNESCO World Heritage Site). 15min by train from Lausanne. For a nice walk in Lavaux take the train to the village of Chexbres and walk down the terrasse winyards until the village of Saint-Saphorin, for example.